Acceptable/Unacceptable Household Hazardous Materials
Acceptable Hazardous Materials
How to pack hazardous waste: Keep hazardous waste in original container, NEVER MIX. If leaking- wrap in a plastic bag and place in a separate box. Place all materials in a secure box and put in the trunk or truck bed. Always remain in your car when you reach the drop-off location. A trained staff will inspect and remove the hazardous waste from your vehicle. Please remember hazardous waste is flammable. For your safety and the safety of others, smoking is prohibited in or near the drop-off location which includes in your vehicle.
Unacceptable HHW Items
- Alkaline Batteries - throw in regular trash
- Biological Waste
- Compressed #20 Gas Cylinders - check with local gas companies
- Explosives/Ammunition - check with state/local police
- Florescent Bulbs - check with your local Transfer Station
- Prescription Medicines - check DEA webpage for locations
- Syringes - check with your doctor
- Radioactive Wastes
- Used motor oil (check your local transfer station or Advanced Auto store)
*Oil and Latex Paints - allowed at satellite events but not at the Lewiston Environmental Depot. Check your local transfer station or go to www.paintcare.org to find a drop-off location near you.