Environmental & Resiliency Coordinator
The Androscoggin Valley Council of Governments (AVCOG) which serves communities located in Androscoggin, Franklin, and Oxford Counties is seeking an Environmental & Resiliency Coordinator. This position is located in Auburn and provides a range of services in solid waste management, environmental and resiliency planning throughout the tri-county region.
Responsibilities include: In consultation with the Executive Director, the Environmental & Resiliency Coordinator oversees the agency’s solid waste management and environmental planning efforts. The individual will develop projects and implement agency programs both independently and as part of a team. Areas of work include solid waste management and environmental and resiliency planning. Various tasks associated with the position include:
Solid Waste Management
• Oversee the solid waste management program including solid waste technical assistance grant administration;
• Maintain current knowledge of issues and best practices in the field;
• Develop new and evolving programs, projects, initiatives or activities designed to expand the activities within the region;
• Coordinate training of solid waste operators and town officials on a broad range of issues including site visits as needed;
• Provide technical assistance to towns and solid waste associations with a broad range of solid waste issues;
• Oversees regional coordination of programs to collect and manage a variety of hazardous and difficult to handle solid wastes;
• Develops outreach materials to promote recycling, reuse, composting and other recovery programs.
Environmental & Resiliency Planning
• Develop and deploy outreach campaigns to vulnerable populations affected by climate disruptions. Identify and promote solutions to help the people most vulnerable to climate impacts;
• Review, summarize, and present information from comprehensive plans, watershed plans, climate actions, hazard mitigation plans, and transportation plans to a wide audience;
• Provides resilience planning assistance, grant writing, and grant administration services to municipal officials, by phone, in writing, and in person;
• Attends meetings of local, regional, and state groups and committees as needed;
• Prepares surveys and reports, collects data, develops case studies and makes presentations in workshops on community resilience;
• Draft and administers grant applications for other sustainability, renewable energy, and resiliency projects and programs.
• Develop grant proposals for solid waste management and other environmental programs;
• Act as a liaison between local, state and federal agencies;
• Develop outreach materials such as pamphlets, flyers, social media posts;
• Attend community meetings and public hearings as needed;
• Works as a team with planning staff to assist with comprehensive plans as needed;
• Participate in trainings, seminars and conferences related to solid waste management, environmental and resiliency topics to maintain knowledge of current regulations and best practices.
Minimum Required qualifications
• Bachelor's degree in environmental planning, natural resource planning, urban or regional planning, engineering or related field, and two years of experience in environmental and/or solid waste management or any equivalent combination of education and experience;
• Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form;
• Ability to manage concurrent tasks efficiently;
• Ability to manage one's own time and work in a team environment;
• Ability to participate, and lead, meetings – both virtual and in-person, including workday and evening meetings;
• Valid Maine driver’s license and a reliable motor vehicle;
• Detail oriented.
Additional desirable skills/qualifications
• Familiarity with GIS/ESRI products;
• Experience with federal grants management and program compliance.
AVCOG is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits to include medical insurance, health savings account with company contribution, health reimbursement account with deductible reimbursement; dental and vision insurance; life and voluntary disability insurance; medical and dependent care flexible spending; member of Maine Public Employees Retirement System; paid time off including vacation and sick time, 13 paid holidays.
Applicants should submit their resume, cover letter, minimum salary requirements, and three professional references to email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled.
Androscoggin Valley Council of Governments
125 Manley Road
Auburn, ME 04210